We’re often asked by our students which sites we look at for research, inspiration, etc etc. So I’m going to start keeping a master list of everything I can find on design “stuff”. I also need to note that this is a WIP, so if you don’t see a site here and would like to recommend one, leave it in the comments below or leave one on our Facebook page.
Blogs, News, All Around
- Core77 – Design news, portfolios, job board, etc. Covers almost everything.
- Dexigner – Features a big directory of design firms worldwide.
- Yanko Design – Design blog that usually has more product related items but covers just about everything.
- Dezeen – Focus on architecture, furniture, interiors, etc.
- Wallpaper* – Graphic design, architecture, fashion, and lifestyle.
- The Dieline – Packaging design and the like.
- Cool Hunting – Another big one that covers just about everything.
- Car Design News – For the transportation design crowd.
- Car Body Design – See above.
- Fast Co Design – Design news and lots of industry information.
- Product Design Hub – Hard to categorize, so I’ll keep it here. Community based site.
- Design Observer – Features more critical insight on design
- Speak Up Archives – Same as above
Gallery & Inspiration
- Industrial Design Served – I thought our website name was long to spell.
- Pinterest – Sign up and start pinning.
- Site Inspire – Mainly for web design, but searches will lead to other sites for other fields.
- Draw Crowd – Giant picture board for concept art.
- Deviant Art – Huge. Will take time to sort through… beware of furries.
- ConceptArt.Org – More of a community site, but has lots of art.
- CGHub – A must for aspiring entertainment students. Kind of like Facebook for concept artists. *UPDATE: Now defunct.
- Font Squirrel – Commercial free fonts!
- The Leagure of Moveable Type – Open Source fonts. Just be sure to credit the creator if you decide to use it.
- dafont – Huge repository of fonts, but be mindful of the ones you pick: not all fonts are created equal.
- Type Connection – Take two fonts on a date and see if it works.
- Lost and Taken – A LOT of free textures to use for commercial and personal use.
- Texture King – Same as above.
- Fuzzimo – Ecclectic collection. Cool name.
- Texture Mate – Another big, free respository of textures.
- Kuler – A handy little tool useful for picking colors. Plug in for Photoshop also available.
- Color Scheme Picker – Like Kuler, but has more options including picking colorblind sets.
- Tin Eye Labs – Search Flickr images by color. Very handy.
Branding and Identity
- Branding Identity Design – Name says it all.
- Logo and Identity – Pretty handy template if you’re in a pinch.
- Branding Served – Same as Industrial Design Served but for branding.
- Brand New – Logo, corporate identity website/critiques
- Art of the Menu – Gallery of menus!
- SolidSmack – Not strictly 3D but it’s part of a network of CAD related sites.
- CADJunkie – Part of said network.
- GrabCAD – Tons of FREE 3D models for reference.
- SketchUp – Free 3D modeling tool. Takes less than an hour to learn and has a large repository of FREE downloadable models.
- Lulu – Self publish your work.
- Blurb – Same as above.
- Clear Image Printing Co – Local source if you don’t want to do this online.
- A1 Book Binding – Another local source with more binding options
Recommended Reading (Some of these aren’t cheap; Art Center students should be able to find them in the library)
- Universal Principles of Design
- Design of Everyday Things
- Industrial Design Reference Book
- Sketching: Drawing Techniques for Product Designers
- Naoto Fukusawa
- In Praise of Shadows
- Dieter Rams: As Little Design as Possible
- BRAUN – 50 Years of Design
- Art Fundamentals: Color, Light, Composition, Anatomy, Perspective, and Depth
- Innovative Product Design Practice: Carl Liu Design Book *Check out the Kindle version too
- ImagineFX (various)
- For concept art, I recommend looking for “Art of…” books i.e. Art of Iron Man, Art of Halo, etc etc.